Inflammation of the Foreskin / Balanitis


Urological referral / GP management.

Advice: Patients with inflammation of the penis & foreskin may need a urological opinion. They can be managed in primary care, but this depends on the length of the history and physical findings. Diagnostic awareness is needed to exclude BXO and penile cancer, and occasionally a sexually-transmitted infection. If associated with phimosis, a urology opinion will be helpful.

Refer To: Urologist, or Sexual Health Physician if STD suspected.

Clinical advice

  • Check for length of history, previous problems, has the foreskin previously been retractile, and sexual history. Is there a history of dermatological disease or diabetes?
  • Examine for retractile foreskin, suspicious lesions, urethral discharge, palpable masses. Is the meatus narrowed?
  • Adults with suspected penile cancer should be referred urgently.


Urology Affiliations

Latest Tweets

Contact Us

  • Nick Brook Urology
    Kimberley House
    89 Strangways Tce,
    North Adelaide,
    Adelaide SA 5006
  • 08 8463 2500
  • 08 8267 3684